Traveling for Science: Documents for Schengen visa application

I had the opportunity to travel to Europe to perform academic research. This was made possible through a collaboration between two universities and a government scholarship.
    
For most people (especially frequent travelers), applying for a visa may be easy and straightforward. I am no frequent traveler. In fact, this is my first travel outside of my country. This was my first time to apply for Schengen visa, and I am happy to say I was granted visa with no problems.

Preparation and planning ensured my successful visa application. Making sure that I have submitted complete and correct documents is one factor that made the process faster.

There is a set of documents required to apply for Schengen visa depending on the purpose of your travel. As for me, I was travelling for scientific research funded by a government agency. In this case,  other than the basic requirements, I presented additional documents.

Below is the list of required documents and the specific documents I presented. If you have  plans to travel to the Schengen area whether for research or otherwise, I hope this guide will be helpful.

1. Visa application form
A fully accomplished application form downloaded from the VFS global website. Here is the link for the application form I used: 

2. Photo
A colored photo measuring 35 X 45mm with the head taking up 80% of the photo. For a more detailed guideline, please click on the link below.

3. Travel document
A valid passport with expiration not less than 3 months after the date on which you intend to leave the Schengen area.

4. Round trip flight reservation or itinerary
A round trip ticket with a verifiable booking reference number.

Note: I have personally called the embassy and the application center to verify if I can use just a flight itinerary. I emailed them a copy of the itinerary as well. I was told that it should have a reference number that can be verified. So, I bought an actual ticket and everything went well.

5. Travel health insurance
A travel health insurance accepted by the application center. The dates covered by the insurance includes the dates of departure and return. This is the travel health insurance I used:

6. Letter of invitation
For this, I presented a letter from the university inviting me to perform my research in their laboratories. This document was signed by the appropriate authority of the host university.

7. Proof of accommodation
Document showing you have reserved/booked a hotel or any place of accommodation. As for me, I was booked in a dormitory and it was stated in my invitation letter. In this case, my invitation and proof of accommodation was the same document.

8. Proof of financial means
Showing evidence that you can financially support your stay is very important. This is to ensure that you will not be working in the Schengen area illegally to support your stay. For this, I presented the following documents:

● Bank certification (you need to visit your bank for this)

● Bank account statements
I presented statements for the past 12 months to show the trend of my transactions

● Credit card statements
I presented statements for the past 12 months to show my capacity to pay and my spending behavior.

● Memorandum from funding agency stating the amount released for my travel
I presented this document since my travel was funded by a scholarship agency.

Note: If you are a student and your travel is also funded by an agency, you can show only  this document. But if you can, also present your bank statements and bank certification.

If you are traveling without financial support from a funding agency, bank statements and bank certifications will be enough.


9. Documents proving that you will return to your own country after your trip
Your round trip ticket is one proof that you intend to return to your own country. However, if you can present other pieces of evidence, it would be advisable to submit these as well to eliminate any doubts that you might be prolonging your stay abroad illegally. 

These are the additional documents I presented:

● Marriage certificate
Since I am traveling alone, I presented my marriage to certificate to show that I have family to come home to.

● Contract from scholarship agency
Since this trip was funded by a scholarship agency, I presented a contract specific for this research undertaking.                  

● Certification from scholarship agency
This is a document from my scholarship agency giving me clearance to travel abroad. It is also stated in this document that I am expected to return on a specific date.                   

● Certificate of enrollment
A document confirming that I am a student and is currently enrolled in my university.

● Valid university ID

● Travel order
This is a document from my university granting me authority to perform research abroad. It is also stated in this document that I am required to submit a written report upon my return on a specified date. 



Travel and learn!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling for Science: How and where to apply for Schengen visa in the Philippines

Regulaton of Gene Expression

Environmental Factors Affecting Growth and Development